By Paul Armentano
Prohibitionists’ fears that liberalizing marijuana penalties will lead to a rise in teen use have failed to come to fruition.
The latest evidence is a report from the United States Center for Disease Control finding that the percentage of high-schoolers ever reporting having used cannabis fell from an estimated 43
percent in 1995 to just under 39 percent in 2015. The percentage of teens currently using cannabis (defined as having used marijuana at least once in the past 30 days) also declined during this same period, from 25 percent in 1995 to just under 22 percent in 2015. The percentage of teens using cocaine similarly trended downward, falling from roughly 8 percent in 1995 to 5 percent last year.
During this same time period, two-dozen states enacted statutes permitting qualified patients to consume cannabis, and four states enacted laws permitting the commercial production and retail sale of marijuana to adults.
The CDC data also reported that young people’s marijuana use continued to decline between the years 2013 and 2015 – following the enactment of retail marijuana sales in Colorado and Washington.
The CDC’s Youth Risk Behavior Survey results are consistent with to those of numerous other studies finding that changes in cannabis’ legal status are not associated with increased use among adolescents, including the findings two other federally commissioned data sets.
Photo Credits: ProtoMag
If you enjoyed this Freedom Leaf article, subscribe to the magazine today!
- Gauging the Trump Effect on Congress and the DOJ - February 22, 2017
- 2016: The Year Legalization Went Legit - December 28, 2016
- Retail Marijuana Market Undercutting Beer Sales - December 16, 2016
- Obama Calls Marijuana Legalization “a Debate That Is Now Ripe” - December 5, 2016
- Freedom Leaf Election Report: Polling Highs - October 22, 2016
- NORML Congressional Report Card: B-Grade or Better for Majority of Reps - October 13, 2016
- Cato Institute: Statewide Legalization Not Having Adverse Effects - September 16, 2016
- American Legion Backs Medical Marijuana for PTSD - September 16, 2016
- Polling Looks Good in the Five States with Marijuana Measures - September 15, 2016
- The Origins of Pot Prohibition - September 6, 2016