Originally posted at CelebStoner.com
It was big news in late 2013 when the Denver Post hired a marijuana editor who was tasked with running their online spinoff, thecannabis.co. Now the editor, Ricardo Baca, is the star of a movie that documents the paper’s maiden voyage in the world of pot publishing.
Rolling Papers starts on Jan, 1, 2014, the first day of adult-use marijuana sales in Colorado after voters passed Amendment 64 the previous November that legalized weed for all uses. Baca is off
and running, dispatching writers to cover stories of immediate interest. His first hires are strain reviewers, like Jake Browne, Brittany Driver and Ry Prichard, who’s the true cannaseur of the bunch.
One story of interest is the edibles controversy. Baca digs in, investigating claims that’s there was little or no THC in Dr. J’s products. Later, he travels to Uruguay, though he fails in his efforts to interview then Pres. Jose Mujica, who pushed through marijuana legalization there, also in 2013.
Baca is an enigma. He doesn’t discuss his real passion, which is music – Baca was the Post’s music editor before moving over to the weed desk – or what he really thinks about marijuana. Initially, when Baca was hired, he naturally was asked if he smoked. Many were taken aback when he said he didn’t. It turns out Baca prefers edibles. But we never learn what’s driving him, other than the pursuit of a good story.
If anything, ‘Rolling Papers’ is less about the Denver Post’s expansion into marijuana and more about what it takes to survive in a depressed newspaper market these days.
Director Mitch Dickman keeps it breezy, never stopping for deep thought, which perhaps explains the doc’s shortcomings. If anything, Rolling Papers is less about the Denver Post’s expansion into marijuana and more about what it takes to survive in a depressed newspaper market these days.
It’s probably safe to say that The Cannabist has been a boon to the Post’s circulation and web traffic. So emboldened by its success editor-in-chief Greg Moore predicts the weed site would soon become a print mag as well. It’s yet to happen.
Read More at CelebStoner.com
- Freedom Leaf Special Report: The Greening of Sports - September 22, 2017
- Freedom Leaf Exclusive Interview: Wavy Gravy - September 8, 2017
- Freedom Leaf’s ‘Summer of Love Revisited’ Guide to San Francisco - July 31, 2017
- Freedom Leaf Goes to Germany for the ICBC - June 6, 2017
- Freedom Leaf Exclusive Interview: Tommy Chong - May 29, 2017
- The Top Weed Podcasts on Cannabis Radio - April 3, 2017
- Potcasting: Radio For Cannabis Lovers - March 16, 2017
- Business Is Booming for Marley Natural - February 15, 2017
- Freedom Leaf Interview: Oaksterdam University’s Dale Sky Jones - January 25, 2017
- Book Review: Joe Dolce’s Excellent Cannabis Adventure - December 26, 2016