Sir Patrick Stewart, known for his roles in Star Trek and X-Men movies, uses medicinal cannabis for arthritis.
“Two years ago, in Los Angeles, I was examined by a doctor and given a note which gave me legal permission to purchase, from a registered outlet, cannabis-based products, which I was advised might help the ortho-arthritis in both my hands,” the British actor tells NME. “I purchased an ointment, spray and edibles. The ointment, while providing some relief from the discomfort, was too greasy to use during daytime and so I only use it at night. It helps with sleep as the pain was reduced. The spray, however, is much more usable and I spray my fingers and particularly my thumb joints several times a day. The spray very quickly evaporates and leaves my hands quite dry, though with a slight burning or tingling sensation, which is not unpleasant.
“I believe that the ointment and spray have significantly reduced the stiffness and pain in my hands,” he further explains. “I can make fists, which was not the case before I began this treatment. I have had no negative side effects from this treatment and the alternative would have been to continue taking NSAIDs, Advil, Aleve and Naproxen, which are known to be harsh on the liver and to cause acid reflux.”
In addition, Stewart offered his support of a new Oxford initiative to research the medicinal benefits of cannabis. “This is an important step forwards for Britain in a field of research that has long been held back by prejudice,” he stated. “I believe this program of research might result in benefits for people like myself as well as millions of others.”
Stewart played Captain Picard in numerous Star Trek movies (Nemesis, Insurrection, First Contact, Generations) and on the TV series, Star Trek: The Next Generation; and Dr. Xavier in numerous X-Men movies (Days of Future Past, The Last Stand, X-Men 2 and X-Men).
If you enjoyed this Freedom Leaf article, subscribe to the magazine today!
- Atlanta City Council Unanimously Passes Marijuana Decrim Measure - October 3, 2017
- Target Pulls CBD Products After Offering Them Online - September 29, 2017
- Maine Legislation Would Allow Marijuana Drive-Thrus, Home Delivery - September 27, 2017
- Las Vegas Testing Lab Gets First-Ever Marijuana License Suspension - September 25, 2017
- Registration is NOW OPEN for CWCBExpo Events in L.A. and Boston - August 7, 2017
- Recreational Marijuana Sales Begin in Nevada - July 1, 2017
- PNC Bank Dumps Marijuana Advocacy Group Amid Rising DOJ Tensions - June 22, 2017
- How to Become a Budtender - June 22, 2017
- Things to Do in Las Vegas When You’re Stoned - April 11, 2017
- The NCIA Cannabis Business Summit & Expo is Coming to Oakland - April 3, 2017