These 12 stocks are where canna-investors should place their bets. Each company is a licensed producer (LP) of cannabis in Canada. This article has been updated.
1. Canopy Growth Corp. (CGC:US New York)
Market cap: $9.120 billion
Stock price: $26.44
Owns Ontario-based LP, Tweed. With its $4 billion investment made in August, Constellations Brands, whose stable of alcohol companies includes Corona and Mondavi, now owns 38% of Canopy.
2. Tilray Inc. (TLRY:US NASDAQ)
Market cap: $6.659 billion
Stock price: $72.27
Owns the British Columbia-based LP. On Dec. 20, Belgium-based Anheiser-Busch InBev partnered with Tilray to spend $100 million researching CBD and THC non-alcoholic drinks. Each company will pitch in $50 million. A-B InBev owns Budweiser, Stella Artois, Labatt’s and literally hundreds of other beer brands. On Dec. 18, Swiss pharmaceutical giant Novartis (they own Sandoz) inked a deal with Tilray to make medical cannabis products available through Novartis’ distribution network in 35 countries. On Sept. 17, it was reported that the DEA will begin to import cannabis from Tilray for research purposes.
3. Aurora Cannabis Inc. (ACB:US New York)
Market cap: $4.798 billion
Stock price: $4.81
Alberta-based LP also owns Ontario-based LP, MedRelief Corp. as well as subsidiaries CannaMed and Hempco Food and Fiber. On Sept. 17, it was reported that Coca-Cola had contacted Aurora about launching a CBD soft drink in Canada.
4. Cronos Group Inc. (CRON:US NASDAQ)
Market cap: $1.989 billion
Stock price: $10.49
Owns Ontario-based LP, Peace Naturals Project Inc. On Dec. 7, Marlboro cigarette maker Altria Group purchased 45% of Toronto-based Cronos Group (NASDAQ: CRON) for $1.8 billion
5. Aphria Inc. (APHA:US New York)
Market cap: $1.241 billion
Stock price: $4.94
Owns the Ontario-based LP. During the first week in December, short seller Quintessential Capital criticized Aphria, causing a 50% stock drop.
6. Hexo Corp. (HYYDF:OTC US)
Market cap: $666.285 million
Stock price: $3.24
Owns Quebec-based LP, Hydropothecary. In August, Hexo signed an agreement with Molson Coors Canada to develop non-alcohol cannabis-based beverages.
7. CannTrust Holdings Inc. (CNTTF:OTC US)
Market cap: $476.818 million
Stock price: $4.47
Owns Ontario-based LP, CannaTrust.
8. The Green Organic Dutchman Ltd. (TGODF:OTC US)
Market cap: $477.493 million
Stock price: $1.77
Owns the Ontario-based LP.
9. OrganiGram Holdings Inc. (OGRMF:OTC US)
Market cap: $412.013 million
Stock price: $3.13
Owns New Brunswick-based LP, Organigram.
10. Supreme Cannabis Company Inc. (SPRWF:OTC US)
Market cap: $269,892 million
Stock price: $0.95
Owns Ontario-based LP, 7 Acres.
11. Emerald Health Therapeutics Inc. (EMHTF:OTC US)
Market cap: $230.526 million
Stock price: $1.67
Owns the British Columbia-based LP.
12. Namaste Technologies Inc. (NXTTF:OTC US)
Market cap: $167.599 million
Stock price: $0.56
Owns Ontario-based LP, CannMart. On Sept. 17, Tilray severed ties with Namaste, who’d agreed to purchase cannabis from them, after it was revealed that Namaste held a shareholders’ party featuring scantily clad nurses in Montreal.
More Canadian Coverage
- Cannabis Culture Controversies: Vancouver Stores Ordered to Close, Marc Emery Under Fire - January 18, 2019
- Review: New ‘Cannabis’ Grow Book from Cultivation Expert Danny Danko - January 9, 2019
- Review: AccuVape’s Dragon X Portable Vaporizer - January 2, 2019
- Freedom Leaf’s First-Quarter 2018 Events Calendar - January 1, 2019
- Freedom Leaf’s Top 25 Cannabis Stories of 2018 - December 26, 2018
- The Top 12 Canadian Pot Stocks (Updated) - December 21, 2018
- Canadian Company Tilray Makes Deals with Novartis and Anheiser-Busch - December 20, 2018
- NYS Gov. Andrew Cuomo: ‘Let’s Legalize the Adult Use of Recreational Marijuana’ - December 17, 2018
- Michigan Marijuana Supporters to Celebrate Legalization at Midnight - December 5, 2018
- Joy Beckerman: Hemp Industries Association Evangelist - November 14, 2018