At 12 am tonight, recreational marijuana officially becomes legal in Michigan, making it the 10th state to break from federal policy. Passed by voters on Nov. 6, Prop 1 allows for the possession of up to 10 ounces at home and cultivation of up to 10 plants. You can gift 2.5 ounces, but can’t sell it.
Plans for a commercial industry will get rolling next year, with stores likely opening in 2020. It’s possible that medical dispensaries will be converted for rec purposes earlier than expected.
Prosecutors in several counties—Macomb and Oakland—are already dismissing low-level marijuana arrest charges.
The bad news is that some members of the Michigan legislature, including Republican Senate Majority Leader Arlen Meekof, want to remove Prop 1’s homegrow provision.
Several events are planned for December 6 in Michigan:
• Celebration of the Legalization of Cannabis in Michigan, Cannabis Counsel Office, 2930 E. Jefferson Ave., Detroit; 8 pm-12 am
• Women Grow Signature Networking Event, 4375 Washtanaw Ave., Ann Arbor; 7 pm-9 pm
• Make Money NOW with CBD, Entrepreneurs Hub, 1400 Woodbridge St., Detroit; 6:45 pm-8 pm
If you enjoyed this Freedom Leaf article, subscribe to the magazine here
- Former Colorado Gov. Hickenlooper Vies for Presidential Nomination. But Was He Good on Pot? - March 7, 2019
- The Cannabis Industry’s 20 Hottest Pot Stocks of 2019 - March 4, 2019
- Indiana Gov. Holcomb Ran Frat, Smoked Pot in College - February 28, 2019
- Trump Crony Roger Stone Indicted and Arrested, Claims Innocence - January 25, 2019
- Former New York City Council President Advocates for Marijuana Equity and Social Justice - January 23, 2019
- Cannabis Culture Controversies: Vancouver Stores Ordered to Close, Marc Emery Under Fire - January 18, 2019
- Review: New ‘Cannabis’ Grow Book from Cultivation Expert Danny Danko - January 9, 2019
- Review: AccuVape’s Dragon X Portable Vaporizer - January 2, 2019
- Freedom Leaf’s First-Quarter 2019 Events Calendar - January 1, 2019
- Freedom Leaf’s Top 25 Cannabis Stories of 2018 - December 26, 2018