At 12 am tonight, recreational marijuana officially becomes legal in Michigan, making it the 10th state to break from federal policy. Passed by voters on Nov. 6, Prop 1 allows for the possession of up to 10 ounces at home and cultivation of up to 10 plants. You can gift 2.5 ounces, but can’t sell it.
Plans for a commercial industry will get rolling next year, with stores likely opening in 2020. It’s possible that medical dispensaries will be converted for rec purposes earlier than expected.
Prosecutors in several counties—Macomb and Oakland—are already dismissing low-level marijuana arrest charges.
The bad news is that some members of the Michigan legislature, including Republican Senate Majority Leader Arlen Meekof, want to remove Prop 1’s homegrow provision.
Several events are planned for December 6 in Michigan:
• Celebration of the Legalization of Cannabis in Michigan, Cannabis Counsel Office, 2930 E. Jefferson Ave., Detroit; 8 pm-12 am
• Women Grow Signature Networking Event, 4375 Washtanaw Ave., Ann Arbor; 7 pm-9 pm
• Make Money NOW with CBD, Entrepreneurs Hub, 1400 Woodbridge St., Detroit; 6:45 pm-8 pm
If you enjoyed this Freedom Leaf article, subscribe to the magazine here
- Big Tobacco Makes Major Move into Canadian Cannabis Market - December 7, 2018
- Michigan Marijuana Supporters to Celebrate Legalization at Midnight - December 5, 2018
- Joy Beckerman: Hemp Industries Association Evangelist - November 14, 2018
- MJBizCon Vegas Highlights: Speakers, Luncheons and Parties - November 12, 2018
- Jeff and Pete Sessions Get Booted Out of Washington - November 7, 2018
- Marijuana Legalization Initiatives Pass in Michigan, Missouri and Utah; Fails in North Dakota - November 6, 2018
- Mexican Marijuana Legalization: A View from South of the Border - November 6, 2018
- Freedom Leaf’s November-December Cannabis Events Calendar - November 1, 2018
- The Marijuana Midterms: Ballot Initiatives in Four States + Plenty of Hot Races - October 30, 2018
- First Legal Canadian Cannabis Sales Recorded in Newfoundland - October 17, 2018