Michigan, Utah and Missouri all have marijuana-law reform initiatives on the ballot in November. North Dakota just joined them.
On Aug. 13, North Dakota’s Secretary of State Alvin Jaeger approved the North Dakota Marijuana Legalization Initiative for the Nov. 6 ballot. On July 9, Legalize ND submitted 17,695 signatures (4,500 more than required). Jaeger accepted 14,637.
The measure is purposefully vague; it doesn’t call for specific amounts that would be legal or how to create a commercial market for cultivation, processing, testing and sales. That’ll be up to the legislature, says Legalize ND’s Cole Haymond:
“This bill is by far the most progressive yet most conservative marijuana legalization bill that will be on any ballot across the country. We leave our bill wide open so the legislature can do their job—regulations, taxes, zoning, whatever.”
Republican Gov. Doug Burgum predictably opposes the measure: “I encourage voters to educate themselves on the specific wording and far-reaching implications of all ballot measures. My personal stance against full, unfettered legalization of recreational marijuana has not changed.”
There’s a precedent for such an initiative in North Dakota: In 2016, voters passed Measure 5, which legalized medical marijuana by a 64% margin. That bodes well for recreational legalization in the Peace Garden State, even if the 2016 law has yet to be implemented.
Possession is currently a misdemeanor punishable by maximums of 30 days in jail and a $1,500 fine. All other marijuana offenses are felonies. In addition to medical marijuana, hemp is legal in North Dakota. The state borders Canada, which has legalized cannabis federally; sales begin there in October, a month before the U.S. elections.
Read the full text of the measure here.
If you enjoyed this Freedom Leaf article, subscribe to the magazine today!
- Cannabis Culture Controversies: Vancouver Stores Ordered to Close, Marc Emery Under Fire - January 18, 2019
- Review: New ‘Cannabis’ Grow Book from Cultivation Expert Danny Danko - January 9, 2019
- Review: AccuVape’s Dragon X Portable Vaporizer - January 2, 2019
- Freedom Leaf’s First-Quarter 2018 Events Calendar - January 1, 2019
- Freedom Leaf’s Top 25 Cannabis Stories of 2018 - December 26, 2018
- The Top 12 Canadian Pot Stocks (Updated) - December 21, 2018
- Canadian Company Tilray Makes Deals with Novartis and Anheiser-Busch - December 20, 2018
- NYS Gov. Andrew Cuomo: ‘Let’s Legalize the Adult Use of Recreational Marijuana’ - December 17, 2018
- Michigan Marijuana Supporters to Celebrate Legalization at Midnight - December 5, 2018
- Joy Beckerman: Hemp Industries Association Evangelist - November 14, 2018