On again, off again Lumberton, Miss., police chief Shane Flynt was suspended twice in February, the second time on Feb. 28 due to a video shot by his wife in which he rambles about being “the coolest here” because he’s the “only police chief in Lumberton that likes to smoke weed.” Flynt takes hits off a glass pipe with a broken stem during the video.
News coverage by WDAM is almost as hilarious as the chief toking and slurring. Asked point blank about the video, Flynt ducks the question. “What video?” he deadpans. “I’m not aware of any of that.”
But on Feb. 28, Flynt acknowledged the video on his own Facebook page:
“Please know that one video, one mistake, does not define the person I am… I made a huge mistake. First of all I trusted the wrong person, welcomed them into my personal home. They recorded me in a vulnerable state and they planned every minute of it. This person being my wife who is obviously very vindictive… There is no excuse. I pray you all find it in your hearts to show me grace and know that I am truly sorry for this incident.”
Lumberton Mayor Quincy Rogers suspended Flynt shortly after the WDAM reporter showed him the video. Two weeks earlier, Flynt was suspended for a “personal matter,” but was reinstated a week later by the town board.
The possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana in Mississippi is decriminalized.
Located in southwest Mississippi near the Louisiana border and Hattiesburg, Lumberton (named for lumber industry) is home to just 2,000 people. One of them is a stoner cop named Shane Flynt.
If you enjoyed this Freedom Leaf article, subscribe to the magazine today!
- Former Colorado Gov. Hickenlooper Vies for Presidential Nomination. But Was He Good on Pot? - March 7, 2019
- The Cannabis Industry’s 20 Hottest Pot Stocks of 2019 - March 4, 2019
- Indiana Gov. Holcomb Ran Frat, Smoked Pot in College - February 28, 2019
- Trump Crony Roger Stone Indicted and Arrested, Claims Innocence - January 25, 2019
- Former New York City Council President Advocates for Marijuana Equity and Social Justice - January 23, 2019
- Cannabis Culture Controversies: Vancouver Stores Ordered to Close, Marc Emery Under Fire - January 18, 2019
- Review: New ‘Cannabis’ Grow Book from Cultivation Expert Danny Danko - January 9, 2019
- Review: AccuVape’s Dragon X Portable Vaporizer - January 2, 2019
- Freedom Leaf’s First-Quarter 2019 Events Calendar - January 1, 2019
- Freedom Leaf’s Top 25 Cannabis Stories of 2018 - December 26, 2018