On again, off again Lumberton, Miss., police chief Shane Flynt was suspended twice in February, the second time on Feb. 28 due to a video shot by his wife in which he rambles about being “the coolest here” because he’s the “only police chief in Lumberton that likes to smoke weed.” Flynt takes hits off a glass pipe with a broken stem during the video.
News coverage by WDAM is almost as hilarious as the chief toking and slurring. Asked point blank about the video, Flynt ducks the question. “What video?” he deadpans. “I’m not aware of any of that.”
But on Feb. 28, Flynt acknowledged the video on his own Facebook page:
“Please know that one video, one mistake, does not define the person I am… I made a huge mistake. First of all I trusted the wrong person, welcomed them into my personal home. They recorded me in a vulnerable state and they planned every minute of it. This person being my wife who is obviously very vindictive… There is no excuse. I pray you all find it in your hearts to show me grace and know that I am truly sorry for this incident.”
Lumberton Mayor Quincy Rogers suspended Flynt shortly after the WDAM reporter showed him the video. Two weeks earlier, Flynt was suspended for a “personal matter,” but was reinstated a week later by the town board.
The possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana in Mississippi is decriminalized.
Located in southwest Mississippi near the Louisiana border and Hattiesburg, Lumberton (named for lumber industry) is home to just 2,000 people. One of them is a stoner cop named Shane Flynt.
If you enjoyed this Freedom Leaf article, subscribe to the magazine today!
- Senate Leader Schumer Calls for Federal Decriminalization of Marijuana - April 20, 2018
- The Top 10 Events Happening on 4/20 - April 19, 2018
- Republicans Hijack the Marijuana News Cycle - April 14, 2018
- April Cannabis Events: The 420 Special - April 2, 2018
- Henry Rollins Calls AG Jeff Sessions ‘Pathetic’ - March 26, 2018
- March Cannabis Events: SSDP 2018 to 420 Games - March 4, 2018
- Video: Mississippi Police Chief Brags About Smoking Weed - March 2, 2018
- Pro-Pot Congressman Received Campaign Donations from Manafort - February 26, 2018
- Freedom Leaf Nominated for Three Best of Cannabis Awards - February 4, 2018
- California Medical-Marijuana Pioneer Dennis Peron Passes Away - January 27, 2018