It’s a celebration in Canada today with the official start of legal marijuana sales for recreational use. The first sale took place just after midnight at the Tweed shop in St. John’s, NL. Local resident Ian Power made the initial purchase.
IAN POWER: “It’s been my dream to be the first person to buy the first legal gram of cannabis in Canada, and here I finally am. I’m elated. I’m so excited, I can’t stop smiling.”
Nova Cannabis also opened in Edmonton, AB
The new law, known as the Cannabis Act, allows for possession of up to 30 grams of marijuana by anyone 19 years old or older (it’s 18 in Alberta and Quebec).
Over the past few weeks, Freedom Leaf has posted a number of articles about Canada:
If you enjoyed this Freedom Leaf article, subscribe to the magazine today!
- Joy Beckerman: Hemp Industries Association Evangelist - November 14, 2018
- MJBizCon Vegas Highlights: Speakers, Luncheons and Parties - November 12, 2018
- Jeff and Pete Sessions Get Booted Out of Washington - November 7, 2018
- Marijuana Legalization Initiatives Pass in Michigan, Missouri and Utah; Fails in North Dakota - November 6, 2018
- Mexican Marijuana Legalization: A View from South of the Border - November 6, 2018
- Freedom Leaf’s November-December Cannabis Events Calendar - November 1, 2018
- The Marijuana Midterms: Ballot Initiatives in Four States + Plenty of Hot Races - October 30, 2018
- First Legal Canadian Cannabis Sales Recorded in Newfoundland - October 17, 2018
- The View from Vancouver: Inside Canada’s Legalization Challenge - October 10, 2018
- Chart: The History of U.S. State Marijuana Ballot Initiatives - September 24, 2018