While the word “munch” dates back to the 14th century, it took until about 1971 to evolve into “the munchies,” meaning the “craving for food after smoking marijuana,” according to etymonline.com. Packaged foods like Doritos and Twinkies have long been stereotyped as stoner snacks, but there are many better homemade options.
JALAPEÑO POT POPPERS
These little stuffed peppers are the perfect munchies: crunchy, cheesy, creamy and salty, with just enough heat.
• 12 medium fresh jalapeños
• ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
• ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
• 3 large eggs
• 1½ gm. decarboxylated kief or hash
• 1 cup breadcrumbs
• 2 tsp. salt
• 2 tsp. pepper
• 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
• 1 small link chorizo sausage, optional
Cut a slit into each jalapeño from stem to bottom, then make a crosswise “T” cut at the top. Using a paring knife, carefully remove the inner membranes and seeds, leaving the pepper intact. Combine the cheeses in a bowl. Divide the cheese mixture and the kief or hash into 12 portions each. Take a portion of cheese and squeeze it around a portion of kief, and carefully stuff it all inside the pepper. (This technique allows for more consistent dosing.) Squeeze the seams together to compact the stuffing inside. Beat eggs together in a small bowl. Stir breadcrumbs, salt and pepper together. Use tongs to dip each stuffed pepper in the eggs, then roll in breadcrumbs. Repeat the process, double-dipping each pepper. Place on a clean baking sheet. If using chorizo, cook in a small skillet over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Toss cooked chorizo with grated cheeses and oregano and set aside. Heat 2 inches of oil in a large, preferably cast-iron, skillet. Fry poppers in two batches until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels or a wire rack and serve. Serves 4.
These are the sliders Harold and Kumar would have really wanted.
• 1 lb. lean ground beef
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 gm. decarboxylated kief or ground dry hash
• 1½ tsp. garlic powder
• 1 tsp. black pepper
• 2 tbsp. ketchup
• 2 tbsp. yellow mustard
• 14 small slices cheddar or Jack cheese
• 14 round dill pickle slices
• 14 dinner rolls or mini hamburger rolls
In a medium bowl, mix together ground beef, kief or ground hash, garlic powder, and black pepper until all ingredients are evenly combined. Divide beef into 14 equal portions. Press each portion into a very thin round patty, slightly larger than the circumference of the roll (to allow for shrinkage). Stack patties between waxed paper. Open rolls and spread each half with a very thin smear of ketchup, then the other half with a thin smear of mustard. Top half of each roll with a slice of cheese. Top cheese with a sprinkling of chopped onions. Use cooking spray in a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Cook burger patties for about 30 seconds per side or until just cooked through. Place on the rolls and close. Serve hot. Makes 14 sliders.
BODACIOUS FRENCH-BREAD PIZZAS
Keep medicated pizza sauce in your freezer for munchies relief any time.
• 2 oz. tomato paste
• 2 oz. water
• 2 tbsp. cannabis-infused olive oil
• ½ tsp. balsamic vinegar
• ½ tsp. garlic, minced
• ¾ tsp. Italian spice blend
• ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
• 1 large soft French bread or Italian bread
• ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
• ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
• Pizza toppings of your choice, such as mushrooms, pepperoni, sausage, bell pepper, garlic and onions.
In a medium bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients until well combined. Cut bread in half lengthwise. Spread sauce over the open sides of the bread. Spread mozzarella in an even layer over the sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan. Add toppings and bake in a 400°F oven until cheese is melted and browning, about 10 minutes. Cut each piece in half and serve. Serves 4.
Mix ½ tsp. crushed garlic with 2 tbsp. cannabis-infused olive oil and 1 tbsp. regular olive oil. Brush bread with oil instead of sauce and proceed with the remainder of the recipe.
RIPPED ROCKY ROAD BROWNIES
A classic stoner sweet-tooth favorite.
• 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
• 4 oz. bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
• ¾ cup all-purpose flour
• 2 large eggs
• ½ cup butter
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• ½ cup cannabis-infused butter
• ¾ cup toasted almond slices
• 1 cup miniature marshmallows
• Butter or vegetable shortening for greasing pan
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil and grease with either butter or vegetable shortening. Melt cannabutter, butter and chocolates over low heat in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Stir together flour and salt and set aside. Stir sugar into melted butter-and-chocolate mixture until well combined. Beat in eggs, vanilla, flour and salt. Reserve ½ cup of brownie batter and spread the remainder into the prepared pan. Bake batter for about 20 minutes. Prepare the topping by stirring the reserved batter with toasted almonds and marshmallows. Spread topping on baked batter and return to oven for about 10 more minutes, until marshmallows are browned. Let cool in pan. Lift the foil and remove the ganja brownies. Slice and serve. Makes 16 brownies.
Check out another brownies recipe from our friends at grass.fm here.
Popcorn is a great blank canvas on which to make marvelous medicated munchies. Pop some plain kernels on the stovetop or in a popper, and toss with one of these seasoned blends.
CHEESY GANJA GARLIC-HERB
Melt 2 tbsp. cannabutter and 3 tbsp. plain butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Stir in ½ tsp. garlic salt and 1 tsp. Italian herbs and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Toss with 8 cups of hot popcorn along with ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese.
Drizzle 2 tbsp. melted cannabutter and 3 tbsp. melted butter over 8 cups hot popcorn and toss together with a 1-oz. packet of ranch seasoning mix. Add salt to taste.
Whisk 2 tbsp. melted cannabutter and 3 tbsp. melted butter with 2 tbsp. sriracha hot sauce, ½ tsp. grated lime zest and 2 tsp. lime juice. Toss with 8 cups hot popcorn and season with salt.
Drizzle 2 tbsp. melted cannabutter and 3 tbsp. melted butter over 8 cups of hot popcorn, and toss together with 3 tbsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon and ¾ tsp. salt.
- Celebrate Legalization with These Infused Canadian Sweets - October 16, 2018
- Freedom Leaf Recipes: Mexican-Fusion Cuisine, Baja Med-Style - May 23, 2018
- Freedom Leaf Travel: Welcome to Baja California - May 23, 2018
- How to Make Cannabis-Infused Butter and Oil - March 7, 2018
- Exclusive Book Excerpt: ‘A Brief History of Edibles’ - February 22, 2018
- Five Marijuana Munchies from Brownies to Pot-Corn - January 23, 2018
- High Holidaze Pot Cookie Party - December 15, 2017
- The Summer of Veg – Freedom Leaf Recipes - September 28, 2017
- Take Me Out to the Bong Game – Infused Summer Recipes - July 21, 2017
- The Autism Diet: Healthy Cooking with the Daniels Family - May 25, 2017