The shocking news on Oct. 31 that the Mexican Supreme Court had struck down marijuana prohibition as unconstitutional has been tempered by the reality that it’s not so simple. While the Court determined that growing and distributing for personal use is legal, only those who successfully seek that right and and are approved by the government can do so.
After the Mexican Society for Responsible and Tolerant Consumption (SMART) was turned down by the country’s drug regulatory agency when the group applied for a license to use cannabis, the Supreme Court overruled that decision, opening the door for legalization. Possession of up to five grams is currently decriminalized in Mexico.
“We’re all very excited about the decision. It’s definitely a step forward. We hope that it will have a positive impact on drug-policy reform here in Mexico. What’s going to happen essentially is you still will have to go in front of a judge in order to to get an amparo – a permission to cultivate. There are two things that have to happen. One option is if they come and confiscate your plants or you’re found cultivating, then you have to go before a judge and ask for a motion for them to concede you should have the right. The other option is to go before the Secretary of Health in any state and ask for permission to cultivate for personal use. Either way, you have to go before a judge. But it’s a tedious, onerous process if you don’t have a lawyer or the funds to hire one.
More Mexico Coverage
If you enjoyed this Freedom Leaf article, subscribe to the magazine here
- Former Colorado Gov. Hickenlooper Vies for Presidential Nomination. But Was He Good on Pot? - March 7, 2019
- The Cannabis Industry’s 20 Hottest Pot Stocks of 2019 - March 4, 2019
- Indiana Gov. Holcomb Ran Frat, Smoked Pot in College - February 28, 2019
- Trump Crony Roger Stone Indicted and Arrested, Claims Innocence - January 25, 2019
- Former New York City Council President Advocates for Marijuana Equity and Social Justice - January 23, 2019
- Cannabis Culture Controversies: Vancouver Stores Ordered to Close, Marc Emery Under Fire - January 18, 2019
- Review: New ‘Cannabis’ Grow Book from Cultivation Expert Danny Danko - January 9, 2019
- Review: AccuVape’s Dragon X Portable Vaporizer - January 2, 2019
- Freedom Leaf’s First-Quarter 2019 Events Calendar - January 1, 2019
- Freedom Leaf’s Top 25 Cannabis Stories of 2018 - December 26, 2018