1. The Ferry Building
It’s foodie heaven: Oysters, empanadas, fancy cheeses. The Ferry Building at the end of the Embarcadero surely has something deliciously upscale for you to sample. Pair with Sonoma Coma, which is known to give folks the munchies.
2. Hippy Hill
Golden Gate Park has been a haven for stoners and hippies ever since stoners and hippies have existed. “Hippie Hill”—Sharon Meadow is its official name—has and continues to be a counterculture hotspot. Smoke weed, play Frisbee, listen to the drummers. Wander over to the children’s playground and hit the snack bar for pink popcorn and a ride on the carousel. Bring your own weed, but if you’re adventurous, you could probably score a dime bag from one of the many Haight Street denizens looking to help out the needy tourists.
3. Sunsets at the Beach
Watching the sunset at Ocean Beach is illuminating and exhilarating. It will probably be chilly, so bring a sweater. If you have a little extra money, a nice dinner at the Cliff House (1090 Point Lobos Ave.) is recommended. Kushes are the perfect strains to help you sit still and enjoy the wonder and beauty of nature.
4. The Wave Organ
Way out on the tip of the Marina near Ft. Mason (83 Marina Green Dr.) sits a piece of art known as the Wave Organ. Like a giant seashell, it amplifies the sounds of the ocean. While you’re in San Francisco, smoke a bowl of Jack Herer and listen to the sea as you gaze out across the water to Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.
5. Drinks With Buds
Two Mission St. pubs, El Rio (at 3158) and The Sycamore (2140), are good spots to chill after walking around looking at murals and eating tacos. The Zeitgeist, also in the Mission (199 Valencia St.), has a huge biergarten. The Pilsner Inn (225 Church St.) is an awesome gay bar (well-behaved straights are welcome) with a very comfortable patio. Chocolate Hashberry goes well with Scotch, and pair Tangie with a bottle of citrus-flavored Shock Top.
If you enjoyed this Freedom Leaf article, subscribe to the magazine today!
- Review: ‘When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir’ - February 19, 2018
- Recreational Legalization in California: How’s It Going? - February 9, 2018
- Diversity in the New Marijuana Economy - January 17, 2018
- Hey Kansas State Rep. Steve Alford: You’re a Racist - January 9, 2018
- Pot, Prohibition and People of Color - November 21, 2017
- Five Stony Things to Do in Oakland - September 5, 2017
- Five Stony Things to Do in San Francisco - August 1, 2017
- The Fight Goes on After 4/20 - April 21, 2017
- Trump Victory a Blow to Racial Justice - January 10, 2017
- Do The Right Cannabis Thing - November 29, 2016